Apply here for the DPS Bond Oversight Committee by January 20, 2021. All community members are invited to apply for this committee, which serves a critical role in reviewing and providing accountability on DPS bond spending, as well as providing quarterly updates to the Board of Education. This four-year commitment includes monthly two hour meetings and approximately one hour per month of meeting preparation. Contact email@example.com with questions.
Our #1 Goal: Great Schools in Every Neighborhood
On Nov. 3, 2020 Denver voters overwhelmingly approved bond and mill funding measures for students in Denver Public Schools, agreeing to invest $795 million in bond funding to build and improve schools and $32 million in operating dollars for increased student and staff support.
The bond and mill proposals were created by the 75-member Community Planning and Advisory Committee, with input from school leaders, teachers, students and community members.
Among the specifics in the voter-approved measures:
- New Capacity and Improved Learning Environments: $65 million to address ongoing capacity needs, including new schools in growing parts of Denver and $31.7 million in flexible funding for 135 buildings to invest in key learning spaces such as classrooms, cafeterias, playgrounds, libraries, gyms and auditoriums.
- Montbello Campus: A $130 million investment into a rebuild or remodel of the former Montbello High School
- Classroom Cooling: $128.5 million for air conditioning and cooling solutions in 24 of the hottest schools in DPS.
- Increased Nursing and Mental Health Staff: A $3 million investment to increase school counselor and psychologist services and $4 million to support an increase in full-time nurses in schools.
- Compensation Increases: A $15 million allocation for DPS employees, including an increase in minimum wage to $14.77 per hour and a cost-of-living increase for teachers.
- General Fund Relief $36.5 million that will help mitigate the budget shortfall the district is experiencing due to the economic impact of COVID-19.
Stay tuned to learn more about next steps for implementing these investments and how to get involved.
Denver Ballot Measures 4A and 4B - English video
Denver Ballot Measures 4A and 4B - Spanish video